Q&A: Blooming Leopold Vintage
1. How did you get your start in designing woman's wear?
2.What inspires you to create?
3. What do you love about working with different fabrics?Each fabric is an experience in itself, and when you begin to sew you can certainly tell the difference between high and low quality fabrics - after sewing with silk it's hard to go back to polyester. I hate sewing with stretch fabrics, they have a mind of their own and even the expensive ones feel cheap to me - I'm not a fan. Recently I sewed with boiled wool for the first time and that was a joy.. it has this interesting structure to it that makes it incredibly easy to sew with. I try to sew with natural fabrics whenever I can, cottons and linens are standards for me. Just recently I ordered some bamboo fabric and I can't wait to work with it.
4. Do you have a favorite piece you have made ?
5. Describe your style aesthetic. My style aesthetic is always changing, but there is a distinct mix of old and new in there. I'm always in search of balance between masculine and feminine, vintage and contemporary. I've been into 90s-era vintage for the last couple years. I love mid-length dresses, platform shoes, crop tops. Grunge. But I always enjoy juxtaposing the old pieces with modern shoes or accessories.
6. Any current obsessions you would like to share?
7.What is the best piece of advice you’ve ever been given?
8.What is the one fashion item you think is a “must-have” for every women?
9. Any advice you would like to give to aspiring designers?