Q&A: Willow Knows
Willow Knows is a lovely company that specializes in 100% silk accessories and clothing. I caught up with the creator Jessica Lee, to learn more about the process of creating stunningly beautiful pieces with care and intricacy.
Enjoy the interview below.
1. How did you get your start in designing ?
I studied art, fashion and textile design in college. But really, I think I have always been “designing” in some way or another.
2. What inspires you to create?
Too many things to count.
3. What do you love about working with different fabrics?
I work mostly with 100% (untreated) silk, so what I love most is seeing my pieces start out as a few bolts of pure white fabric and turn into a collection saturated in color that has been produced individually in just a few dye vats.
4. Do you have a favorite piece you have made?
Currently my favorite piece is the “Gathered” dress in sand and slate. I’ve worn it all summer long and will layer it for fall.
5. Describe your style aesthetic.
Easy, loose, casual, oversized, feminine
6. Any current obsessions you would like to share?
Enjoying the hot days of summer for as long as I can.
7. What is the best piece of advice you’ve ever been given?
Stay true to your own ideas.
8. What is the one fashion item you think is a “must-have” for every women?
Large silk wrap scarves in several colors, of course.
9. What does a typical workday look like for you?
Ideally: Wake up to a hot day, throw on a silk dress, out the door to my sunny studio, grab coffee from the coffee shop downstairs, spend the morning catching up on emails, afternoon creating, yoga, dog walk, dinner, bedtime
10. Any advice you would like to give to aspiring designers?
Listen to your intuition.
11. Any exciting upcoming plans for Willow Knows?
I just launched my Autumn/Winter collection, created & directed a willow knows short film, and moved into a new studio within the past two months. I am now looking forward to transitioning into fall in my new space busy with A/W production and to begin thinking about new designs for Spring/Summer 2014.