Just in time for V-Day I got a chance to try out this recipe before leaving for Arizona, and let me tell you....they were so good! Also they are gluten-free, dairy-free, sugar-free + vegan, how crazy is that?! There were a few new ingredients in this recipe that I had never cooked with in my life and trying something new made it all the more awesome. Give these babies a try & let me know what you think.
Good Luck + Happy Cooking!
Serves: 10 Prep Time: 50 Mins Cook Time: 20 mins
3/4 cups gluten-free plain flour (feel free to use spelt flour for a non gluten-free option).
1/4 cup cacao powder.
1/2 cup almond meal.
1/2 teaspoon baking soda.
1/3 cup coconut oil, melted.
1/3 cup rice malt syrup.
For the strawberry caramel
60 g cold-pressed coconut oil.
1/2 cup rice malt syrup.
1/3 cup coconut cream.
1/2 cup fresh pureed strawberries.
1. Preheat the oven to 356 F. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cacao powder, almond meal and baking soda until well combined, set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the coconut oil and rice malt syrup. Add the coconut-syrup mixture to the dry ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon until combined.
4. To make the caramel, place the rice malt syrup in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally until thick, around 8-10 minutes. Remove from the heat and carefully stir in the coconut oil and coconut cream. Set aside to cool completely before stirring in the strawberry puree.
5. Roll 1 tbsp of dough into a ball and create a indent or well with your finger. Spoon 1 tsp of the strawberry caramel into the well and cover with a disk of dough making sure to seal the edges. Repeat with all the cookies and bake for 10 minutes or until slightly soft in the centre. Cool completely before serving.
+ Recipe via. I Quit Sugar