It’s no joke - New York City can make people crazy. It's busy, crowded and can be unfriendly. Sometimes, it makes me want to tear my hair out. I’ve always had problems with anxiety. Over the years I've learned what some of my triggers for my anxiety are. I've learned how to prevent these stressors from taking me over the edge. I wish I could be chill about everything. I have friends who seem to take everything in stride. I'm so thankful for them, but, I know no one can cruise through life without feeling the pangs of stress.
I am in no way a clinical expert on this, I just speak from the humble experience of an imperfect person. I hope some of my thoughts can help you cope! In some ways, I feel like stress has helped me prepare myself for situations better. Getting through any stressful situation can make you stronger.
Last week was incredibly stressful for me. I’m so glad it’s over! We just got back from Switzerland with deadlines looming. I styled a music video, finished a home design project and re-packed my bags to head out on another trip. Needless to say, I find it hard to juggle work plus keep my personal relationships and marriage balanced.
Here are ten tips which have helped me. These ten tips keep me from acting like what Nacho Libre would call “a crazy lady”. Of course, I have to remember to practice them!
Also, always remember this: If you're dealing with stress and anxiety, you're not alone. No one is perfect. Life may seem carefree on Instagram, but that's never anyone's full story.
I struggle with stress on a daily basis. It’s real. It happens. Just know you're not the only one who feels this way. We are in this together. Remember to take a step-back and try these tips.
Being Elliott's Tips on Stress
- Take deep breaths. Being conscious of the way you breath calms you down. This also helps me gain focus and control.
- Listen to calming music. I love this playlist I made here.
- Hug (someone or something).
- Take a break.
- Drink some hot tea. I adore this one.
- Focus on others, not yourself.
- Call a friend. Be sure your friends can keep you motivated!
- Say a prayer. Scientific studies have shown patients who prayed had more successful recoveries.
- Get outside. With spring coming, why not clear the head in the clear air?
Sending joy your way!